The need for smaller protocol specifications

Spencer Dawkins spencer at mcsr-labs.org
Wed Jul 2 17:38:56 CEST 2003

Dear Erik,

<groping for a solution>

Re: Component specifications as Experimental...

The thing I would wonder about is simply moving the "one stage standard"
problem from Proposed Standard to Experimental.

</groping for a solution>

Trying to frame my question in an on-topic way - does the IETF's multiple
stages of approval matter to the consumers of our specifications?

Variants of this question include:

o When we publish a proprietary specification as Informational and then
publish
a WG specification as Proposed Standard, is this a distinction that matters
to the Internet community?

o When we publish (as we often do) TCP changes as Experimental, do
implementors wait for Proposed Standard approval before including
them in products?

Spencer