Complex Problems

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Jan 9 03:50:27 CET 2003

>> try reading RFC 3426, 3238 and 3439. All the three documents got
>> published last year. RFC 3246 deals with many other issues other
>> than just architecture. Actually, RFC 3439 is an update to 1958.
>> The initial iab submission for 3426 was some where around
>> feb 2002.
> I've read them all and actually commented on most of them ... that is
> not my point.  My point is that I wonder if there is some general
> malaise in the IETF if the community is not interested in discussing
> architectural issues now.

as a co-author of 3439 (which was not really intended as an update
to 1958), i for one am certainly not disinterested in discussing
architectural issues.  and i find many folk willing to do so.

one problem is that these are not simple issues.  this is not a
simple space.  and they often do not have 'solutions', but rather
provide guidance and clues.  and, when that guidance does not fit
well with someone's plan or product, i guess it may indeed seem as
if they do not want to discuss architecture.

randy