Complex Problems

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Thu Jan 9 07:22:00 CET 2003

Brian,

> > I think the mismatch between the WG short-term engineering model and the
> > need to do work at a "principles" level is worthy of being called out as
> > part of our "problem statement".
>
> Undoubtedly. But a closely related problem is how to get the IETF at
> large to put effort into work at the "principles" level. My efforts
> last year to get input for a revision of RFC 1958 were an exercise
> in frustration.
>
> This was very different from 1996, when we got lots of input
> for the original version of RFC 1958.

You raise a very important issue here.  If in 1996, there was a lot
of input on architectural issues but last year there was very little -
what is going on?  Is it that people don't care anymore, are the burnt
out, or the stress of everyone's day job's is too much?  For some
reason, it may be so that people are less committed to these principles.
Do we need to re-energize folks on this or is it the communities feeling
that this is someone else's problem - or could it just be that folks
need to be educated on this?

thanks,
John