IETF Problem WG Charter Discussion

avri avri at apocalypse.org
Tue Jan 7 15:04:43 CET 2003

Hi,

Melinda and I have made a few tweaks to the proposed charter and
would like to bring the group into the discussion on the charter.
We would like to have discussion on the charter conclude in the
next 2 weeks so that it can be submitted for approval.
I.e. we should complete this discussion by 21 Jan.

We are also in the process of getting ourselves organized and
will be sending out some more admistrativia in a bit.  One thing
we are currently looking into is a way to capture the issues
that have been discussed so far so that we can work from where we
are in an organized manner.
More info to follow shortly on that and other details.

We are also discussing the formation of an editorial
group to work with the, as of yet unrecruited, document editors.
Details to follow.

Thanks
a.
---
Avri Doria
co-chair

Problem Statement (problem)

Chair(s):
Melinda Shore <mshore at cisco.com>
Avri Doria <avri at acm.org>

General Area Director(s):
Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no>

General Area Advisor:
Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no>

Mailing List:
General Discussion:  problem-statement at alvestrand.no
Archive:             http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/problem-statement/

Description of Working Group:

Discussions over the last couple of months have revealed a
significant number of thoughts about problems that exist with
the way the IETF operates.  In advance of trying to change the
IETF procedures and rules to deal with these problems, the IETF
should have a clear, agreed upon description of what problems
we are trying to solve.

This group is charged with producing the document describing
those problems.

The intent is that the group will discuss issues on its mailing
list, and that there will be an editing team to produce a clear,
concise problem statement that the group can have consensus on,
and present to the IETF as a basis for an IETF consensus.

As a second work item, the group will also produce a proposal
for a process to develop solutions to the problems identified
by this working group.

It is not a part of this group's charter to propose solutions
to the problems.

The work items will be reviewed in plenary at the IETF.

Goals and Milestones:

Jan 03 Group formed
Feb 03 First I-D of problem statement issued
Mar 03 Problem statement reviewed at the IETF Plenary
Mar 03 First I-D of process proposal issued
May 03 Problem statement submitted for IESG review
Jul 03 Process proposal reviewed at the IETF Plenary
Aug 03 Process proposal submitted for IESG review