Complex Problems

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Wed Jan 8 03:31:08 CET 2003

James,

> Behind every architecture there are a set of assumptions. The assumptions behind
> the Internet architecture are largely values based (user choice, openness,
> etc.). The assumptions behind architectures done by other standards bodies are
> largely business model based (how to maximize revenue for vendors/operators,
> etc.). This is not to say that business model based assumptions don't play a
> part in decisions in the IETF, they do, but I don't believe they drive the basic
> discussions on architecture (or, at least, they have not up until now).
>
> If we allow others to do the basic architecture, then we will end up accepting
> their assumptions. I don't think this is a very good idea for the Internet.

I assumed that this list was about creating a problem statement for
current percieved problems with the IETF process.  Delving to deep
into what other SDOs do or don't do is probably a huge rathole.

It might be that you are implying that there are Internet problems which
may need fixing, but I think that is still another problem.

I am currently more concerned about the effectiveness of the IETF; standards
are taking a longer time to produce which has a direct effect upon deployment
and potentially creates problems; especially in the cases where a protocol
is trying to fix a hole or an existing problem.

Additionally, I do have some concerns about the transparency of the process -
though there are some steps being taken to fix this.

thanks,
John