General comment on draft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt

Elwyn Davies elwynd at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Feb 28 15:56:56 CET 2003

Thanks on behalf of the editorial board.

> I like the notion of separating root cause problems from the full
> list of problems, but I would prefer to see the full list, in headline
> form, as part of the main text, i.e. as section 3. The reason for this
> is to ensure that when we get to the stage of spinning off solutions
> work, we don't forget the specific problems. I agree with leaving
> a lot of the details in an Appendix.

When you say 'headlines', do you mean something about the size of the
current summaries in the Appendix, or an even more abbreviated form of the
abstracts we have already made?

> I'm going to debate one of the root cause problems (#2.4) in a
> separate message, but the others seem to me to be correct.

... and comments on 2.4 in the other mail

> My greatest concern is that we make *very* rapid progress with this
> draft, i.e. do a revision immediately after the IETF, and then
> decisively agree to publish it as "good enough", ready move on to
> the solutions stage at the July IETF. Let's make this the shortest
> lived WG any of us can remember.

We'll try... please keep the comments coming in.  We are thinking about the
'way forwards' draft in parallel.

Regards,
Elwyn