Standards

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Wed Feb 19 17:07:25 CET 2003

Another cut at this.

We often hear it said that "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards."

Objectively, it's not 100% true (since IPv4 and TCP are Standards) but
to what extent is it true?

The reason this is interesting is that if, in practice, the Internet
largely runs on PS's, then a legitimate problem statement might be

  We waste a lot of time and energy on promoting PS to DS and occasionally
  to S, but this has no practical impact on products and services, which
  happily run on PS's.

(If this is a problem, the solution is not hard to find.)

   Brian