New Issue: Distinguishing IETF docs from others

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Sun Aug 3 10:30:49 CEST 2003

The transaction below appeared last week on the IPR list.  Since
no one else has said anything, and in the interest of avoiding
the notion dropping through the cracks...

It is often difficult to distinguish, by reading the document,
whether an informational or experimental RFC is an individual
contribution or a document that has received some level of IETF
approval.  That is confusing to readers, may be confusing in
consideration about standards vis a vis which documents are
authoritative and which are not, and may be an  enabler of abuse.

<solution-pointer> The RFC Editor should be encouraged to
develop a way to make this distinction with different headers
(e.g., individual contribution are not identified with "network
working group") or different introductory boilerplate, or by
some other mechanism. </solution-pointer>

      john