Fwd: Re: site-local != NAT

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Wed Apr 30 14:15:28 CEST 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:38:44 -0700 (PDT)
Spencer Dawkins <spencer_dawkins at yahoo.com> wrote:

> And, as a spectacular example of the kind of problem that the
> IETF doesn't know how to work on...

yup.  I've been trying to work on it myself, but I don't have quite the
breadth of expertise that's needed to make a  proposal that won't have
enough gaps that it will get it immediately shot down.  And while I
could probably get a BOF to discuss the rough ideas, but trying to do
the basic work in a working group is a sure way to keep it from
happening. it requires too many kinds of expertise, and the result of
allowing arbitrary numbers of self-chosen people to argue about it is
certain chaos.

even NSRG, which was a relatively small hand-picked group of extremely
talented people, couldn't come to convergence.

Keith

p.s. I'll probably keep trying, with the hope of attracting a small
design team to flesh out the proposal, and growing it gradually to the
point where it can be tweaked/vetted by a working group.