Danger to the Net? (Re: My thoughts about the problems of the IETF)

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 22 13:10:52 CEST 2003

> HTA> I am beginning to be as tired of hearing about unnamed ADs wielding unnamed
> HTA> threats to unnamed document authors over unnamed technical issues for
> HTA> unnamed political reasons as you must be of feeling the pushback.

> And therein lies a major problem in the IETF right now.

> There is no "risk" of flamage.  It is a certainty.

> Open frank discussion of particulars about an AD is never productive
> in the IETF.

IMO, we do need to talk about specifics (as in let's start with
specific documents where this has happened). If that touches onto a
specific AD's handling of things, so be it. It's been repeatedly
asserted that ADs need Thick Skin for the job anyway.

For some time now, I feel like we are in this mode where there are
repeated references (from various quarters) about unnamed ADs blocking
document inappropriately.  Everyone seems to agree that should not be
happening. But, there continue to be assertions that it does. So, how
do we _really_ fix the problem (whether it is just perception or
reality)?  Seems like we need to:

1) identify where it's happened in the past, so we can say "yep, we
   know about that, but are there any other cases we also need to know
   about?"

2) identify where it's _not_ really happened, but due to
   miscommunication (or lack of communication), folks _believe_ it to
   have happened (i.e, separate fact from rumor).

3) where it has happened recently, especially in the last 6-12 months
   time, we (as in the IESG and/or Harald) need to take hard look at
   what happened and what we can do to make sure it doesn't happen
   again.

IMO, it's really important to talk about specifics because I know of
no other way of addressing the vague "it has happened" or "it still
happens" assertions.

Note also, that there are some 13 IESG members (including Harald as
chair). Surely at least some of us are approachable enough that anyone
with a specific issue can fill us in on the details so that we can go
investigate and report back?

Thomas