My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Thu Apr 17 14:31:37 CEST 2003

At 04:11 PM 4/17/2003 -0400, Ralph Droms wrote:
>My understanding is that an AD does a preliminary review before
>the IESG sees a doc.  What is the AD looking for - editorial
>changes, fundamental problems with the protocol?

The AD is generally giving the document the most thorough review that the
IESG will give it - other ADs will also make comments, but they won't
generally even read the document until the shepherding AD advises them that
it has met his or her muster.

So the issues that the AD is looking for are those mentioned in the
appropriate place in RFC 2026. At the PS level, to name one, s/he is
wondering whether he is prepared to make the following statement about the
document: is it "generally stable", has it "resolved the known design
choices", does any field experience exist, what is its probable operational
effect, and what obvious "technical omissions" are there? If s/he believes
that there are issues, s/he will send the document back to get fixed rather
than forward it to the IESG.

A truly common technical omission is any serious consideration of security.
Everyone yells in pain when this comes up, but frankly if the protocol
provides a means for someone to hack your network or displays information
that you didn't intend to be displayed, it is going to have to be fixed,
and we are only discussing when that fix will happen. As a result, the AD
often comes back with observations on that subject, and it is not uncommon
for the working group to try to stare him or her down on it.