My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Thu Apr 17 23:51:51 CEST 2003

Hi Keith,

> But I've also seen WG chairs that abuse their power to push through
> their (employer's) agenda, and I'm pretty fed up with that.

Just picking on one point here - usually, the bulk of the IETF
participants use company email addresses - it is easy to work
out people's affiliations.  However, lately, many people
(including a high percentage of the IESG) are not using their
employer's email addresses - this could possibly obscure
conflict of interests.  I am not accusing anyone one of blantant
conflict of interest, but is there any way which a chair,
IESG member, IAB member, document editor, etc. declare a potential
conflict of interest?

For example, I have been invited to participate in a number of
funded research projects which potentially may submit drafts into
the WG I chair - is there a need to handle potential conflicts of
interest.  Or at least a way to declare potential conflicts of
interest.

This probably goes double for the IESG; I have heard a lot of
'black helicopter' theories about why IESG member X voted
in such a way ...

John