My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Thu Apr 17 11:52:02 CEST 2003

Well said Scott.  Key is that the process is open and IESG state their
technical positions and if necessary also defend them in public.  Very
important the IESG be careful with non technical decisions and have
better gauge to determine community consensus.  Back room tactics in the
IETF are part of most problems.  The IESG also has to admit it when they
are technically proven wrong or it is shown they do not have the
technical expertise to answer an issue.

That being said all good processes require a check and balance.  The
IESG has two: The IAB for appeals, and the market who can ignore them
and build a standard they don't agree with and that affects the IETF
overall regarding perception in the market.  I think we need another
check and balance when the IESG makes significant errors.

I also think the IESG members should not be in anyway involved with the
nomcom process at all.  As I said before that is like having the
government in a voting booth with you.

I also think IESG members should never respond to mail lists with
philosopy quips or meaningless phrases with no technical or direction or
et al content during technical discussion.  First, many working group
members believes they are being intellectually dishonest and are really
unable to keep up with the technical discussion, and Second once you're
an IESG member you have a certain decorum required of you and
responsibility that maybe we should document for IESG members.  Good
examples of two Ads that respond in depth and think out very well the
response and focus on the problem are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.
Their technical responses are par excellence.  Even if I don't agree I
can have good deep technical discussion with them.  Scott you were this
way too and why I was quite not happy you were not on the IESG.

But.....the IESG is only a fraction of the overall IETF problem, and
should not be blamed for the many many problems of this SDO.

I read the minutes, I read this mail, I read Harald's response, the IETF
problem is happening right on the problem list.

What is our mission?
What is our objective?
What is our deliverable?
What is our due date for that deliverable?
What is our penalty if that deliverable is not met?

The above should be our focus and meeting a deliverable.  Otherwise we
are simply the proof that the IETF cannot solve this and it will either
bog down and die or long term competing Forums, Consortia, or other SDOs
will move without the IETF.

/jim