My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Thu Apr 17 09:58:13 CEST 2003

Hi Keith,

At 08:48 AM 4/17/2003 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
>it's very clear that WGs in general and WG chairs in particular already
>have too much power - this is why IESG is under such a strain to try to curb
>their excesses.  It's 13 people against the mobs.

How can the WGs possibly have too much power?  The WGs
_are_ the IETF...

It is the job of those 13 people (along with the WG chairs)
to manage and facilitate the work the of the "mobs",
not to curb it.

It is a fundamental precept of the IETF that the rough
consensus of the "mobs", developed in a fair and open
process, will produce good results.  And, all of our
processes and systems are built around that assumption.

Margaret