IESG procedures (Re: what is a problem)

RJ Atkinson rja@extremenetworks.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:07:24 -0500

On Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002, at 02:56 America/Montreal, Harald Tveit
Alvestrand wrote:
> We (both the IESG and the IETF as a whole) ARE moving from being a
> body of "people trusted to try to do the right thing" (and make up
> procedures to match) to a body of "people trusted to execute the
> documented procedures".

Certainly the IESG Plenaries in Atlanta and in Yokohama lead anyone to
the conclusion
that a large number of IETF participants *already* do not trust the
current IESG
to do the right thing.

Lack of transparency in IESG actions/procedures/status has clearly been
part of those
concerns.  Unclear to me personally whether the I-D Tracker becoming
public has changed
the IETF community's perception about transparency in IESG
procedures/status/actions
or not.

It is clear that IESG refusal to document its own procedures anyplace
has increased
the level of community concern, rather than lowering the level of
community concern.
If the IESG wants to continue to set its own procedures and have
flexibility, a start
might be for the IESG to document those procedures publicly someplace
of its own choosing
(e.g. on a web page).

Some number of folks have suggested to the IESG over the past 4-5 years
that
they publish a charter -- even if that charter were broadly worded and
gave the IESG
broad responsibility and broad flexibility.  The longer the IESG stalls
on creating
a draft charter of some sort, the higher the probability that the
community as a whole
will insist on a more narrow and less flexible charter for the IESG.
So if the goal
is to avoid having the IESG get too wedged in via mandated procedures,
putting together
a non-procedural broadly worded draft IESG charter now/soon might well
be the approach
with higher probability of success.

Ran