ID-nits [was Re: suggestions (voting)]

Dean Willis dean.willis@softarmor.com
26 Nov 2002 14:05:38 -0600

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 17:20, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
> > It would probably save me several hours a month to have some sort of
> > tool that could just brute-force check things that can be brute-force
> > checked, like presence of required sections, validating BNF, and
> > test-compiling MIBs.
> >
> MIB SYNTAX checking (compiling a MIB) is part of the I-D nits page.
> And it tells you how to do it. You can just email your MIB
> to smilint: smilint@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
> You would be suprised how many MIB documents we get on IESG plate
> that clearly have not even gone through a basic MIB-compile to do
> the SYNTAX check

My fantasy is that I could run a draft through a single tool that does
all the automateable tests and sends me a report. I don't want to have
to, by hand, extract the MIB from a document, clean up all the damnable
ASCII page formating, and process it through smilint, then extract the
bibliography, clean it up, and process that through reflint, and so on.

How about a nice, simple, tagged input format that has semantic meanings
like "This is a mib, check it with smilint" and "this is a normative
reference, validate that the URL resolves".

--
Dean