Individually-submitted proposed RFCs (was: Re: what is a prob lem)

Wijnen, Bert (Bert) bwijnen@lucent.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:37:45 +0100

> Bert,
>
> Being flexible with the timeout during IETF meetings, and the
> immediately proceeding period, seems completely reasonable to
> me.  But the RFC Editor believes, or believed a few months ago,
> that IESG had instructed them to not submit documents, nor even
> initiate an internal review on those documents, during that
> period.  That is _not_, IMO, reasonable.

Although in practice it boils down to the same thing, does it not.

RFC-Editor can:
- ask for timeout of 4 weeks (what they do today) and wait 6-8
  weeks around a IETF meeting
- wait a few weeks before it actually asks for a 4-week-timeout
  review.

As Patrik also explained... I think the timeout mechnism often
does not work very well. I have seen quite a few docs that stay
in "IESG-review" for more than 4 weeks.

Bert