suggestions (voting)

Leif Johansson leifj@it.su.se
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:15:21 +0100

Marc Blanchet wrote:
> --- dimanche, novembre 24, 2002 18:27:36 +0100 Leif Johansson
> <leifj@it.su.se> wrote/a écrit:

<snip>

> That is what I'm proposing: it is not to change the procedure, but to setup
> and offer a "voting (or named it as we want)" tool so that chairs can ask
> questions on the mailing list that would give them the equivalent of the
> "public non-voting" but on-line.

There is a big difference: when you are conducting a vote you can't turn
to those who have voted and ask them to motivate their position. I agree
with Kurt Zeilengas formulation of this principle: contention is out of
scope. I.e if you need a tool to judge the sense of a wg then you don't
have clear consensus and you need to think about what the wg is doing.

Remember: the wg members have to basically agree -- there is no way for
the ietf to create standards with a 51% majority vote and there is no
stick with which to beat companies who don't implement RFCs. Ultimately
the market decides what solutions get deployed. This is (imho) why the
ietf works (when it does): since we almost only standardize (not
counting all published RFCs mind you) what we agree on the acceptance
of ietf standards in the market is almost a tautology.

Sorry if I was rambling a bit there ;-)

	Cheers Leif