what is a problem

Marshall Rose mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:37:09 -0800

> Hi Marshall,
>
> > > I agree with you on this.  Howver, I think that the IESG
> > workload has
> > > gotten such that their bandwidth for workgroup
> > review/monitoring/review
> > > has been limited.  I think that this might be one of the
> > general problems.
> >
> > well, but that's why each area should have a directorate...
>
> I agree, as long as there is sufficient transparancy in the
> directorates.  IETF Directorates are often called secret
> societies by those not in the loop.

hmmm... i always viewed a directorate as a container for like-minded folks (from
the AD's perspective) who get assigned by the AD to keep an eye on various WGs.
to the extent the directorate is advising an AD on policy matters, then,
certainly an AD who takes their advice has to explain the reasoning behind the
policy.

where we disagree, perhaps, is that i don't view transparency as necessary for a
directorate; however, i do view accountability as necessary for an AD...

/mtr