IESG transparency

john.loughney@nokia.com john.loughney@nokia.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:09:58 +0200

Hi Harald,

> Other problems might be:
>=20
> - the IESG has too much power (specifics)
> - the IESG has too little power (specifics)
> - the IESG doesn't wield the power it has brutally enough (specifics)
> - the IESG wields the power it has too brutally (specifics)

I have additional problems to add:

 - the IESG does not effectively communicate its policies.
 - the IESG does not document their work in sufficient detail.
 - communication with the IESG can be (to say the least) confusing.
 - the IESG may not effectively manage their workload (this is open,=20
   because I don't have enough insight into what the IESG is doing
   to be able to say this for sure).

I really don't object to the power that the IESG has.  In many cases
it is justified.  However, when the IESG sends comments to WGs or
draft authors, often the comments are quite confusing.  Policies that
are being applied may not be documented.

br,
John