IESG transparency

john.loughney@nokia.com john.loughney@nokia.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:25:02 +0200

Harald,

> good point.
> one which was also raised in Yokohama.
>=20
> question: should the IETF have a charter?

I'm not sure if this is anyway linked to the IESG charter issue. =20

I think we should investigate, as we are, the ongoing process
issues.  One could reasonable argue that a charter for the IETF
could be one step to resolve some of the process issues.  An
IETF charter could outline the relations between IAB, IESG,
IANA, IETF Work Groups and IETF participants.  It could cover
ground about the RFC process, and so on.  However, I still
think that the IESG role needs to be better clarified.  A
charter for the IESG seems like a reasonable thing to do.  I don't
think that a charter needs to be a straight-jacket, but something
that one can point to one folks feel that the process has broken down.

br,
John