IETF problem pinpointing - the followup

Jim Whitehead ejw@cse.ucsc.edu
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:55:21 -0800

> >- What are the issues we want raised during the problem-session?
>
> -Speed of the entire process
>    -Issues with getting a WG to complete work on a draft
>    -IESG speed
>    -RFC Editor speed

I agree that speed is important. But, equally important is *predictability*
of how long various review and editorial processes will take.

Right now, if someone asks, "how long will it take to get draft X published
as an RFC once a WG finishes their deliberations," the answer is "anywhere
from a month to a year (or more)". This makes early implementation of the
specification a high-risk activity. Many organizations would benefit from
having a reliable upper bound on the time a particular process may take.

- Jim