18 months

Carsten Bormann cabo@tzi.org
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 02:14:00 +0100

> Do working groups that take a very long time to produce anything do
> well
> within the IETF? Do they eventually produce something useful? Does it
> eventually become popular in the Internet. I think the answer is
> clearly no.

Do you have data to back this up?

Right now this discussion is hampered by lack of data (more precisely,
it's all based on personal perceptions of, for each person, rather
limited subsets of the data we should be looking into).

So -- could you please partition the RFCs we have into those that were
produced by 18-month WGs and the ones that needed longer?

Then we could start to assign value to them (which, necessarily, will
remain subjective), and come to a better analysis.
((Of course, another subjective element is the perception whether the
WG would still have needed > 18 months in the presence of a Guillotine
rule.  But I still want the hard data.))

Gruesse, Carsten