Deciding between two choices

Aaron Falk falk@isi.edu
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:49:35 -0800

So, Melinda, I fail to see how midcom was "derailed" by the process
you described.  This sounds like a fine example of the process the way
it's supposed to work.  This is the rough consensus.  Missing, of
course, is the running code.  That doesn't mean that it's necessary to
implement all the permutations.  (Although, perhaps it would be worth
revisiting the wisdom of the decision to go with the solution you
chose after some implementation work is done.)

My interpretation of the problem you are describing is how to heal the
devisions that occur when there are factions in a working group
arguing for different solutions.  This *does* seem to be a problem for
the IETF.  (Witness the recent bash-fest on IPv6 on the e2e-interest
list.)  This seems to me to be a matter of wg chair leadership.  The
chair needs to articulate why the importance of making a decision and
moving on outweighs the potential benefits from pursuing one of the
non-chosen decisions.  (Note, Melinda, I'm not faulting you at all on
this as I have not been following midcom and generally think you do a
great job as a communicator.:)

--aaron