A 100.000 foot perspective on "what is the problem"

Randy Bush randy@psg.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:01:22 -0800

one problem with early architecture/clue/security/... insertion is
why i asked for dmso [0].  it is usually provided but not absorbed.
there is a very long list of wgs/documents in just the last few
years who lost many months dealing with the results of an ear wax
problem in the early and overly-enthusiastic stages.

few folk like to be heavy-handed, and that generally does not work
in the long term anyway.  then there are folk with my disease, we
whisper three times and then go to the 2x4, seeming to lack talents
for tools between.

and, as pete points out, when it comes to cross-area architecture
and gotcha review, there is a serious resource problem.  to always
do it early would require folk with all the cross-area talents
(these are usually security, ops, and transport) to be in all
bof/wgs, and there just ain't enough of wise/senior/... folk in
each of those talent areas to go around.

randy

---

[0] dmso is a chemical which carries stuff right through your skin
    to your bloodstream.  use a dab to work on a horse's muscle,
    and the second you touch the horse with your hand, you taste
    horse in your taste buds.  but perhaps we should not carry this
    analogy too far :-).