Standards Classification and Reality Problem Statement (was Re: Not a problem statement [ was Re: Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking)

Kurt D. Zeilenga Kurt@OpenLDAP.org
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:32:25 -0800

At 01:54 PM 12/16/2002, Fred Baker wrote:
>my point is that making things historic doesn't make them go away, and doesn't necessarily pressure anybody to do anything.

I feel that changing status of expired-in-grade RFCs (which
don't have viable efforts to further them) to Historic will
send a clear signal to all, especially consumers of our
specifications, that we, the IETF, place value in track and
status of documents.  If we place no value in the track and
status of documents, we might as well do away with them...

Kurt