Info/exptl RFCs [Re: Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking)

RJ Atkinson rja@extremenetworks.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:10:22 -0500

On Monday, Dec 16, 2002, at 15:36 America/Montreal, Pete Resnick wrote:
> Alternatively, the RFC Editor can simply stop accepting submissions
> from other than the IESG. Not only will that require a change to 2026,
> but I think it likely that it will not make people in the IAB and IRTF
> any happier.

I agree that such a change as quoted above would be strongly
undesirable.
There is substantial on-going value in Informational and Experimental
RFCs
originating from outside the IETF.  Examples of same include IAB RFCs,
IRTF RFCs, and many individual submissions.

If Brian wants to clamp off the funding for such RFCs, he might find
that
it creates massive unhappiness in the IETF community and might also
find that
it significantly reduces the value of all other RFCs.  I would hope the
ISoc BoT would not act so rashly in actual fact and that Brian's
comments
were more of a debating tactic than an actual threat.

Speaking for myself only,

Ran