Standards Classification and Reality Problem Statement (was Re: Not a problem statement [ was Re: Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking)

Fred Baker fred@cisco.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:19:43 -0800

At 09:09 AM 12/16/2002 -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>I suspect that if such reviews were actually done, not only would many
>documents be moved to Historic, but we'd see viable standardization
>efforts spring up to move the suitable documents forward.

Lessee here. We took RIP V1 to Historic status a number of years ago. That
means that all the vendors have removed it from their products, and every
network in the world has upgraded to RIPv2, OSPF, IS-IS, or something else
that supports CIDR. There is simply no market whatsoever for a protocol as
problematic and deficient as RIP, right?

Remind me, what was the first routing protocol updated for IPv6?