Standards Classification and Reality Problem Statement (was Re: Not a problem statement [ was Re: Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking)

James Kempf kempf@docomolabs-usa.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:13:26 -0800

> I think it would be plausible to say that "any document that is
> submitted by a WG to the IESG with a recommendation to make it
> standards-track is eventually matched with a standards track
> document, usually with the same title".  The IESG rarely manages
> to say "no, that is not standards-quality work" and make it
> stick, even when that is justified.  But some of the documents
> are sufficiently transformed in the process to be recognizable
> only in outline.

And *that* is specifically the problem.

If the end result of the process is that the IESG is going to say to the WGs,
this is what we want, then what is the point of having the WGs spend 3 years on
something?

            jak