Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Dave Crocker dhc@dcrocker.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:12:30 -0800

John,

Saturday, December 14, 2002, 11:52:41 AM, you wrote:
John>   But I believe that, were we to shift the
John> PS norms and WG behaviors so that industry typically saw
John> we would see some behavior shifts.

It is easier to change an IETF procedure than it is to change an industry
perception.  Remember that this is an industry that does not yet really
understand the difference between an RFC and an IETF standards track
specification, in spite of our diligently trying to make the distinction
for more than 10 years.

So, rather than try to get the industry to appreciate a subtle change in
meaning of PS, let's just make better use of an existing classification.
Even better is that the associated word "experimental" is considerably more
tentative than "proposed".

Yes, it still seeks differential understanding of different RFC sub-labels, but
at least it does not involve changing the meaning of an existing sub-label.

John> I think there are many cases where we should be using
John> Experimental and have been using PS instead.

yup.

d/
--
 Dave <mailto:dhc@dcrocker.net>