Standards Classification and Reality Problem Statement (was Re: Not a problem statement [ was Re: Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking)

Frank Kastenholz fkastenholz@juniper.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:55:38 -0500

James, reading your note, it seems that you believe that
all (most?) of the problems in the IETF stem from a single
root cause -- that ID's have become "the standard" to which
people implement and _that_ is because of market pressures
(a competes with b so if a gets the thing done before b then
a wins a battle in the market) and personal pressures (i want
the self-satisfaction of being the author of the id/rfc/...).

_If_ that's a fair characterization of your note, then there
is nothing we can do but tweak a few things here and there.
We _can_not_ remove the market pressures (we can not force
companies not to sell/deploy id-based stuff) and we can not
get rid of the personal/self-satisifaction issues (even if you
remove my name from the draft, I'll know I wrote it and I'll
tell everyone...)

Frank Kastenholz