18 months

Brian E Carpenter brian@hursley.ibm.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:05:52 +0100

Dave,

I don't get how a rigid time limit will make WGs do things better.
Some things just take two years. What is much more important
is strict follow up of missed milestones - if whatever was negotiated
initially doesn't work out, then there should be a conscious decision
each time to either kill the work item or extend the milestone date.
What really hurts us is drifting milestones.

I don't disagree that 18 months is a long time. We should clearly
target a lower average (say 12 months) and take steps to chop
off the long tail. But let's not cause artificial problems by
over-rigid process rules.

  Brian

Dave Crocker wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Tuesday, December 10, 2002, 3:45:55 AM, you wrote:
> >>I believe we would have behaved differently had there been a
> >>rule setting boundaries both for overall time and allowed slippage.
>
> Margaret> Rules are not a substitute for active and effective management.
>
> Margaret> Making a hard rule like "publish in 18 months or perish" will not
> Margaret> serve the community in the long run.
>
> Rules come from a need to make things more predictable, more fair and more
> efficient. In the extreme we could try to have no rules at all, relying on
> the subjective decision-making of ADs and the IESG. Unfortunately, we need
> more consistency, more efficiency and more fairness than that. So we make some
> rules.
>
> The draft-huston-ietf-pact proposal for an 18 month limit is prefaced with a
> specific assertion:
>
>    If an effort requires more than 1.5 years to produce something that
>    is ready for IETF last call, then it is not yet ready for the IETF.
>    The effort must do its pre-standards work elsewhere and then come to
>    the IETF when a solution is ready to be standardized.
>
> In other words, there things the IETF does well and things it does not do
> well. John Klensin posted a note also observing that we need to pay
> attention to what we do well and let other things be done elsewhere.
> <http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/pipermail/problem-statement/2002-December/000216.html>.
>
> When we have a clear sense of the problem to be solved and an urgent
> pressure to produce something useful in a timely fashion, the IETF does
> wonderful things. When either of these factors is not present, we flounder.
>
> Floundering is very expensive. My guess is that the shortest, smallest IETF
> standards effort costs multiple millions of dollars. Worse, these effort
> waste scarce IETF resources, ranging from AD time, to meeting space, to
> community goodwill.
>
> One can quibble with the particular phrasing that we measure the IETF by the
> "commercial success" of its output -- my own phrasing is that we look for
> actual use -- but the point being made is absolutely key: our rough measure
> of productivity is producing standards document and our precise measure of
> success is adoption and use of those documents.
>
>     A document that is not produced or is not used is not a success.
>
> An organization that has a track record of not producing, or of producing
> work that is not used, is irrelevant.
>
> The 18 month proposal has been called draconian. I would call it
> procrustean. We are trying to make all efforts fit into the bed of near-term
> productivity. The problem is that the draft-huston-ietf-pact did not create
> the bed. The IETF track record over the last 15 years created the bed. The
> IETF does near-term work well. The IETF does long-term work very badly.
>
> We have a serious problem and we need concrete, serious steps to make things
> better.

> [...]

Brian E Carpenter
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM
On assignment at the IBM Zurich Laboratory, Switzerland