Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

James Kempf kempf@docomolabs-usa.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:16:38 -0800

John, Scott,

In my experience, once a draft gets working group status, it is treated by
working group members as being preordained to become PS (if it is on Standards
Track). People start implementing it, moving their implementations forward, and
doing interoperability testing. It is very hard to remove a draft once it has
working group status (believe me, I've tried).

So, as a practical matter, working group status of a draft has come to more or
less represent what PS once was, and PS has become more or less what DS was. As
I believe Scott observed, most standards rarely reach DS. So, in effect, DS has
become fairly useless as far as the practical implications of how vendors and
operators treat IETF standards.

Perhaps it might be simplier to recognize this fact and work with that by, for
example, dropping DS and requiring two interoperable implementations for a
standard to go to PS.

            jak