meeting time

Carsten Bormann cabo@tzi.org
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:29:44 +0100

> Voice is expensive for many, there are language problems, and so far we
> don't have good human-layer protocols anyway.

As a non-native English speaker, let me underscore that it is really
hard to interface with a heat^h^h^h^hspirited discussion in a telephone
conference.  (After ten years of AVT, MMUSIC etc., telephone
conferences strike me as archaic anyway, but that's a different
construction site*.)  [Problem: forgetting non-native speakers.]

The two reasonably large-scale successful standardization efforts I've
been involved in (ISSLL and ROHC) both had *one* interim meeting that
was absolutely indispensable.  Having two days to really force
consensus on some of the harder to pin down issues helped tremendously.
  The RFCs probably wouldn't exist without these.  [Problem: shifting
guidance about interims.]

On the other hand, even with minutes, the decisions taken in these
interims were documented less well than the ones we had on the mailing
list (the same is true for the telephone conferences that the draft
authors tended to have in the finalization phase).  [Problem:
documentation requirements, meeting support for non-IETF meetings.]

By the way, it seems nobody has brought up that lots of work can be
done at an IETF outside the formal meeting.  Maybe we can put effort
into making this even more effective.  [Problem: IETF meeting support
focuses on formal WG meetings.]

Gruesse, Carsten

*) It was surprising to see how little technology can actually be used
by the firewalled-up and strangled-by-IT-policies people in some
"technology" companies.  Accessing a CVS repository (!) was
unsurmountable.  Maybe we have to put up a minimum technical
requirement for effective participation that goes beyond "can send and
receive mail".  [Problem: being inclusive to the extent of technical
lobotomy.]