Longer or more meetings?

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald@alvestrand.no
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:34:37 +0100

--On tirsdag, desember 10, 2002 09:52:28 -0600 Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
wrote:

> I agree with your thinking above. Design teams (with a lead editor) are
> definitely more responsive. And if we really look closely at any active
> piece of work being done in the IETF, the number of key contributors are
> limited. Hence it is possible to form a pseudo team that meets via
> teleconferences in order to make progress. The chairs need to
> facilitate this and hence should be considered as something to be
> added to the current RFC2418.

Something like this?

6.5. Design teams

   It is often useful, and perhaps inevitable, for a sub-group of a
   working group to develop a proposal to solve a particular problem.
   Such a sub-group is called a design team.  In order for a design team
   to remain small and agile, it is acceptable to have closed membership
   and private meetings.  Design teams may range from an informal chat
   between people in a hallway to a formal set of expert volunteers that
   the WG chair or AD appoints to attack a controversial problem.  The
   output of a design team is always subject to approval, rejection or
   modification by the WG as a whole.

It doesn't mention telechats, but I think that's a means, not an end....

              Harald