Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Joel M. Halpern joel@stevecrocker.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:58:19 -0500

While the statement Marshall makes is probably technically correct, it is
also misleading.  As many of the effective efforts to produce quality
determined, if you start by looking at what you can measure, you will
almost always get the wrong answer.
Instead, you need to start by determining what matters,
and then determine how to measure it.

My largest concern with the PACT document is that it has focussed on what
we already know how to measure (time in working groups, time in the IESG)
instead of what we care about (which I would roughly describe as the
composite efficacy including a sufficiently high quality result in a
sufficiently timely fashion.)  Getting agreement on what matters is
hard.  Figuring out how to measure that is hard.  But focusing on what we
know how to measure is a serious mistake.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern