Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald@alvestrand.no
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:00:32 +0100

--On tirsdag, desember 10, 2002 08:43:33 -0500 Scott W Brim
<swb@employees.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 06:23:44AM -0500, Margaret Wasserman allegedly wrote:
>> PLEASE NOTE:  MOST PEOPLE IN THE IETF DO NOT TAKE THE MILESTONES
>> SERIOUSLY.
>
> Part of this is the in the process by which milestones are set.  ADs
> strongly encourage chairs to get work done rapidly -- to the extent that
> (in some cases) they are encouraged to set milestones they don't believe
> in, or not get chartered.  The seriousness of the milestones is diluted
> from the first.

this should not happen; it's just too stupid.

Lots of WGs-to-be have had negative feedback on milestones placed two years
or more out - in this industry, planning that far ahead is extremely chancy.
Some have responded by moving them up - others by dropping them and instead
placing a "let's think about what to do next" milestone on their agenda.

I believe the latter is the sensible thing to do. In most cases.

                 Harald