Longer or more meetings?

Scott W Brim sbrim@cisco.com
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 14:23:07 -0500

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 05:36:32PM -0500, Margaret Wasserman allegedly wrote:
> It seems, from observation, that we define "relevance" as
> "commercial success".  And, it is obvious to me that a large
> corporate gorilla has a lot more influence on corporate success
> than a one-man consulting firm...

As far as I know the goal of the IETF has always been a robust Internet,
designed so it can (relatively) easily adapt to projected future
requirements.  Input from individuals and groups with small budgets has
always been important.  Commercial success comes in to play to the
extent that it is needed as an enticement to get people to contribute to
the fundamental goal.  Large corporate gorillas (I work for one) have
more influence because their buy-in is usually required, and to some
extent because others will follow their lead, but the ideas you're
trying to get them to buy into can come from anywhere.

..Scott