Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Dave Crocker dhc@dcrocker.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 07:49:23 -0800

Edward> My point is - there's no guidance given on what constitutes a real
Edward> milestone.  I've failed to find on the website instructions to the
Edward> chairs on milestones.

RFC 2418, "IETF Working Group Guidelines and Procedures" is listed under the
web page <http://www.ietf.org/IESG/wgchairs.html>.

"Edward> In my limited searching, I can't find a set of hyperlinks from
Edward> http://www.ietf.org to the page mentioned.  (Please prove me wrong!)

On <http://www.ietf.org> there is an entry for "WG Chairs Web Page" that
points to the URL Harald just supplied.  It includes an entry for the RFC.

The RFC contains helpful tidbits, like:
"

2.2. Charter
   Goals and milestones
      The working group charter MUST establish a timetable for specific
      work items.  While this may be renegotiated over time, the list of
      milestones and dates facilitates the Area Director's tracking of
      working group progress and status, and it is indispensable to
      potential participants identifying the critical moments for input.
      Milestones shall consist of deliverables that can be qualified as
      showing specific achievement; e.g., "Internet-Draft finished" is
      fine, but "discuss via email" is not. It is helpful to specify
      milestones for every 3-6 months, so that progress can be gauged
      easily.  This milestone list is expected to be updated
      periodically (see section 5).

Edward> (And for that matter, how to request a meeting
Edward> slot and other mechanistic intructions.  I don't mean to expand the
Edward> thread, but the lack of web site instructions is larger than just
Edward> milestone maintenance.)

RFC 2418 also contains:

2.4. Birds of a Feather (BOF)
   Any individual may request permission
   to hold a BOF on a subject. The request MUST be filed with a relevant
   Area Director who must approve a BOF before it can be scheduled. The
   person who requests the BOF may be asked to serve as Chair of the
   BOF.

and

3.2. Session venue
   IETF Meetings
   The application for a WG session at an IETF meeting MUST be made to
   the IETF Secretariat at the address agenda@ietf.org.  Some Area
   Directors may want to coordinate WG sessions in their area and
   request that time slots be coordinated through them.  If this is the
   case it will be noted in the IETF meeting announcement. A WG
   scheduling request MUST contain:

   - The working group name and full title;
   - The amount of time requested;
   - The rough outline of the WG agenda that is expected to be covered;
   - The estimated number of people that will attend the WG session;
   - Related WGs that should not be scheduled for the same time slot(s);
     and
   - Optionally a request can be added for the WG session to be
     transmitted over the Internet in audio and video.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker  <mailto:dhc@dcrocker.net>
 TribalWise <http://www.tribalwise.com>