Longer or more meetings?

Margaret Wasserman mrw@windriver.com
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:36:32 -0500

I suppose I should stop trying to be subtle... I infuriate my
friends, and others probably don't get it. :-)/2

I'm not sure that we have a shared concept of what "success" is...
Everyone keeps talking about "relevance".  Now, while it is obvious
that we don't want to work on things that are irrelevant, how are
we defining "relevance"?

It seems, from observation, that we define "relevance" as
"commercial success".  And, it is obvious to me that a large
corporate gorilla has a lot more influence on corporate success
than a one-man consulting firm...

I actually prefer the criteria for success that are outlined in our
current processes:

         - open
         - fair
         - technically sound
         - useful

But, folks do seem to be awfully focused on "relevance" these days...
What, exactly, does it mean if if doesn't mean "implemented by
large vendors"?

Margaret