Is this really where we want to go? (was: Re: Selecting leadership, take 2)

John C Klensin john-ietf@jck.com
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 07:47:33 -0500

--On Friday, 06 December, 2002 22:06 -0800 Randy Bush
<randy@psg.com> wrote:

> [ just to highlight your last paragraph ]
>
> maybe shortness of meetings actually is a problem.\

That is why I tried to make the specific example extreme enough
to be silly.  The topic deserves, IMO, discussion.  And I find
it interesting, and useful, that you did exactly what I was
advocating (and that Ted followed up on in more detail and more
eloquently than my original statement): to oversimplify, you
stated the possible problem ("shortness of meetings"), explained
the presumed bad effects ("slow convergence and poor quality"),
identified a remedy other than the four-week IETFs of my
strawman (interim meetings), and identified a possible downside
("standards professionals" and "loss of wide perspective").  So,
I think, we should now be able to have all of those discussions
(and I am pleased that two have already started), including,
explicitly, the "email versus meeting time" tradeoff that Jari
raised.

That, it seems to me, is how we make progress.  And, while the
implications are broad, the   The alternative of trying to build
a comprehensive problem model feels, instead, like a way of
going around in circles.

    john