Selecting leadership, take 2

RJ Atkinson rja@extremenetworks.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:03:08 -0500

On Wednesday, Dec 4, 2002, at 09:49 America/Montreal, Harald Tveit
Alvestrand wrote:

> ok, talking to people does tend to give perspectives.
>
> the nomcom chair has assured me that he thinks adding this to nomcom's
> agenda will disrupt their schedule, add to their burden and be
> generally bothersome.

Thanks for checking.  Working from hard data is vastly preferable
to working without data.

> so here's a suggestion:
>
> - we focus on a leadership role for the "problem description" phase -
> from
>  now on until San Francisco.
>
> - we formally state intent to charter this as a working group
>  One work item for the group is process for picking leadership of the
>  next phase.
>
> - I write up a "role description" and post it on ietf-announce
>
> - People can send me names. I can verify whether or not they will be
> willing
>  to do the job.
>
> - I ask the nomcom chair for advice. He can ask his committee if he
> wants it.
>
> - I make the selection, based on the advice I get.

All the above seems fine as far as it goes, but...
I think it is very important that the selected person (edit to taste):
	(1) not be a current IAB or IESG member
	(2) agrees that they are not available to serve as an IAB or IESG
		member on the current Nomcom cycle (i.e. until at least IETF
		meeting of Spring 2004).  This means that if Nomcom is considering
		them for any position and they get selected for this special
		WG position then they agree up front to withdraw from the
		IAB/IESG candidacy for the duration of this Nomcom cycle.
	(3) agrees they will not stand as a candidate for IAB or IESG,
		while they are serving as chair of this special WG should
		the WG lifetime exceed the date in (2) above.

And I don't think the above is a very controversial suggestion,
based on discussion so far here and based on the community's expressed
concerns.

> Queries:
>
> - Make the nominee list public? (see nomcom wg's archives for
> pro-et-contra)

Yes, please.

> - Timing? Is 2 weeks from now enough time to do this?

I'm not sure what you are suggesting above.

	I would prefer to have at least 10 days window for the IETF
community to nominate people to you for this role, with time
measured from the time the notification email goes out to IETF-Announce.
This gives any folks on travel or holiday some reasonable chance to be
aware of the activity and provide input prior to the decision being
made.

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com