Selecting leadership for process issues

RJ Atkinson rja@extremenetworks.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:34:52 -0500

On Tuesday, Dec 3, 2002, at 13:59 America/Montreal, John C Klensin
wrote:
> Hmm.  In other discussions, we have been told that Nomcoms quite
> often makes fairly late assessments of possible candidates and
> then goes recruiting.   To the extent that is true, they might
> not know until March, or at least sometime in January or
> February, either.   I don't object to having the Nomcom make the
> choice, but, if our goal were primarily to prevent the lead
> cat-herder in this effort from being selected for the IESG or
> IAB, we can do it by applying the same rule that is applied to
> the Nomcom itself.  I.e., no one chosen can be a candidate for
> either an IAB or IESG position.   If that rule is applied, then
> we don't need the Nomcom to make the selection (although that
> might still be desirable for other reasons).

John,

	As far as I know, there is no currently public visibility of the
list of candidates for an IAB or IESG position.

	So this matter of which folks do have that data leads us *again*
to the Nomcom as the selection body -- with Nomcom making a decision
*soon*  (i.e. well before March) based on open nominations for this
position,
with Nomcom filtering out anyone who is a candidate for an IAB or IESG
position from consideration for this position.

	That is, nothing in Margaret's observation or my comment pushes
the decision on this question out to March, as you seemed to be
implying.

Ran