Selecting leadership for process issues

Brian E Carpenter brian@hursley.ibm.com
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 13:43:49 +0100

On a formal point, Harald as the AD responsible must make
the appointment (otherwise we would break the rules in
RFC 2026). So presumably Harald would need to state in
public that he will appoint whoever is recommended to him
by <X> (where the current proposal is X=Nomcom).

   Brian

RJ Atkinson wrote:

> On Monday, Dec 2, 2002, at 15:35 America/Montreal, Harald Tveit
> Alvestrand wrote:
> > --On mandag, desember 02, 2002 13:07:39 -0500 RJ Atkinson
> > <rja@extremenetworks.com> wrote:
> >> It seems to me that because of its critical importance, this might be
> >> good topic for even broader community input (broader than the set of
> >> folks on this list).
> >>
> > so are you suggesting a call for nominations, or a more wide-ranging
> > discussion of how we should pick the leader(s) of the effort?
>
> I think the community should be fully informed about and have an
> opportunity
> to object to the proposed approach for selecting the leader of the
> effort.
>
> Separately, I think that opening the leader selection process to public
> nominations would be healthy.
>
> In detail, I think that one good approach is the one gih has mentioned,
> where Nomcom, who are already collecting a lot of community input
> (including input on perceived issues with the way IAB/IESG handle
> things),
> make the choice based on usual open nominations -- but even for that
> approach,
> the community should be asked for input and given a chance to object to
> the
> approach, before picking that approach.  Other good approaches might
> also
> exist.
>
> Ran

Brian E Carpenter
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM
On assignment at the IBM Zurich Laboratory, Switzerland