design team, was: Selecting leadership for process issues

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette@wz-berlin.de
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 18:15:13 +0100

On 2 Dec 2002 at 8:59, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> At 04:37 AM 2002-12-02, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> >One issue I've been thinking about:
> >
> >what's an appropriate way to select the people to lead the effort to rethink the IETF?
> >
> >At the moment, I think we know the following:
> >
> >- We need someone who is not the current leadership to take charge of the process
>
> Yes.  It takes a person with special qualities to manage
> the process without letting ones own agenda influence the
> outcome.  The person must also be well respected, not an
> insider, not an outside, experienced in the process and
> culture, approachable, and articulate.
>
> >- We need an open forum (most likely called a WG) to get input into the process and
> >discussion among people
>
> It should be a WG as WGs have well establish operating guidelines
> (RFC 2418).
>
> >- We need some kind of work team to make sense of the input and do the heavy lifting on
> >drafting the problem statements and (eventually) proposed solutions.
>
> Sounds like a design team...

Provided a design team is an acceptable mechanism in this case, I'd suggest a
glass door approach: let people watch what the design team is doing by archiving
their mails and making them publically available.

Jeanette