Selecting leadership for process issues

Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 07:16:13 -0600

> At 01:37 PM 12/2/2002 +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> >One issue I've been thinking about:
> >
> >what's an appropriate way to select the people to lead the effort to=20
> >rethink the IETF?
>=20
> Perhaps the nomcom could take on the task of selecting a=20
> leader, from people nominated by the community?  Or, if the current =
nomcom is=20
> already overloaded, we could spin-up a separate nomcom-like group to =
choose someone?

I tend to disagree that the nomcom would be the right group to determine =
the
leadership for rethinking the IETF.=20
In order to get a quick turnaround, a group of 6~10 people drawn from =
the various
areas of the IETF should be put together to define the current problems =
of the
IETF. And in the meanwhile let the IETF/IAB chair put together a =
committe again
drawn from experienced IETFers (process folks and organizational =
management types?) to
come up with a recommendation for making changes to the IETF. No current =
IESG or IAB
members should be on these teams. You could draw from past leadership I =
s'pose.=20

As long as the outputs/discussions of the problem statement team and the =
solutions committee=20
are kept open (spirit of openness of the IETF is maintained), the =
changes would have a good
possibility of being well received or accepted.

>=20
> Margaret
>=20

-Basavaraj