Selecting leadership for process issues

john.loughney@nokia.com john.loughney@nokia.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:06:04 +0200

Hi Harald,

> What's an appropriate way to select the people to lead the effort to=20
> rethink the IETF?

I think that getting someone sooner rather than later is important.
Striking the iron while its hot is not a bad thing.

> At the moment, I think we know the following:
>=20
> - We need someone who is not the current leadership to take=20
> charge of the process

If I were to suggest an arrangement, it would be someone with
past exerience from the IESG/IAB with a co-chair of someone who
has not been on the IESG/IAB.

> - We need an open forum (most likely called a WG) to get=20
> input into the process and discussion among people

Agreed.

> - We need some kind of work team to make sense of the input=20
> and do the heavy lifting on drafting the problem statements and=20
> (eventually) proposed solutions.

I think a core team (I hesitate to say design team) of commited
people would be a good thing.  At least some of this team should
come from WG chairs (past & present).
=20
> But how should we get this structure into place, and who=20
> should man it?

Perhaps we should take volunteers?

John