Registration of media type application/calendar+xml

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Fri Sep 10 00:03:34 CEST 2010

* Steven Lees wrote:
>To:
>ietf-types at iana.org
>Subject:
>Registration of media type application/calendar+xml

(There is no need to include this in the specification.)

>Type name:
>application
>Subtype name:
>calendar+xml
>Required parameters:
>none
>Optional parameters:
>charset, method, component and optinfo as defined for the text/calendar media type
>Encoding considerations:
>iCalendar data is typically UTF-8 and thus the XML representation will follow that.
>As a result, for 7-bit transports, data in UTF-8 MUST be encoded in quoted-printable
>or base64.

As per RFC 3023, these should be stated as "Same as [charset parameter /
encoding considerations] of text/xml as specified in RFC 3023."

>Security considerations:
>This extension does not introduce any new security concerns than those already described in iCalendar (RFC5545).

This should then also reference the security considerations for the type
application/xml as defined in RFC 3023.

>Interoperability considerations:
>This media type provides an alternative syntax to iCalendar data based on XML.
>Published specification:
>This specification. (http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-06.txt)
>Applications which use this media type:
>Applications that currently make use of the text/calendar media type can use this as an alternative.
>Additional information:
>Magic number(s): None
>File extension(s): XML data should use "xml" as the file extension.

This should just say ".xml". I note that using .xml for this type
prevents typical file extension -> media type mappings which would
be an issue for instance if you expect that people will just throw
files of this type on their web server.

This is usually rendered as "Steven Less <steven.lees at microsoft.com>".

>Intended usage:
>COMMON
>Restrictions on usage:
>There are no restrictions on where this media type can be used.
>Author:
>Cyrus Daboo
>EMail:  cyrus at daboo.name
>Mike Douglass