Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Fri Jun 18 14:17:03 CEST 2010

Le 18-juin-10 à 12:55, Chris Lilley a écrit :
> PL> Could I suggest to add in this registration clipboard format
> names as
> PL> part of the additional information so that applications use them
> PL> consistently?
> Happy do do so - could you point to documentation on this so I can
> read up?

There's no official place that I know of.

For UTIs, URLs have been a bit changing at Apple, the Wikipedia page
seems the most faithful:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Type_Identifier
and a page at Apple is:
	http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/understanding_utis/understand_utis_intro/understand_utis_intro.html

For Windows the only pages I know of are:
	.NET:	http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.dataformats.aspx
	C++        http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632538.aspx

I've been vaguely trying to list these at my page: http://eds.activemath.org/en/node/161

> Do they require separate registration with some other authority, or
> is it sufficient to note them here?

 From the discussion within the W3C Math Working Group members, it
appears that there's no registration methods anymore (people from
MicroSoft, Design Science, and MapleSoft among others).

One thing I learned the hard way (there was a draft with that error)
is that dashes (the minus sign "-") is not allowed in MS clipboard
flavor names. Another is that lack of specification gives a broad
amount of fancy attempts by just about any implementor.

The pages of the platform makers describe how applications register
their clipboard types when running or in the application descriptors.

As far as I know there's no other thing to do than write this in a
spec expected to be read by implementors.

> PL> I would suggest the following for uncompressed svg as a first
> PL> approximation, but maybe there are existing attempts already?
>
> PL> - Windows: "SVG Image"
> PL> - MacOSX Uniform Type Identifier: org.w3c.svg conforms to
> public.image
> PL> and to public.xml
>
> PL> I am doubting that the 4-letter codes are still in use but I may
> be
> PL> wrong.
>
> Yes, the old MacOS 4-letter codes are mainly historical at this
> point, but Apple did allocate them for us (back in 1998) and RFC
> 4288 (from Dec 2005) seems to ask for them if they exist, so they
> were included.

Perfect then.

paul