Registration of media type text/vcard

Simon Perreault simon.perreault at viagenie.ca
Thu Aug 26 14:59:41 CEST 2010

On 2010-08-26 07:42, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> That's why we say instead that if it is used, then it MUST say UTF-8.
>>
>> While this approach does not violate any restriction I'm aware of, it
>> definitely violates the MIME design philosophy, which was to avoid
>> unnnecessary
>> silly states.
>
> Well, it has the benefit that if you send content to a recipient that
> has some default handling for text/*, but not for text/vcard, you can
> specify the encoding (I just verified that with Thunderbird).

Interesting! I think many implementors will be happy to know that...

So do we have consensus on keeping the optional charset parameter and
restricting its possible value set to just "UTF-8"? (i.e. keeping the
registration template exactly as it is)

Simon
--
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca